header Facebook Twitter LinkedIn the MAE files
Home About Me Art

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

20 Reasons why people should research before commenting

Edit:
So apparently the YouTube video has been removed. No worries. The original video is still available on the ChannelFix website. Hey, it's the Internet. You just can't hide things.
_____


When I first saw this video "20 reasons why I dislike the Philippines", it only had 2 comments and less than 50 views. I thought of sharing it, but was afraid people would accuse me of being unpatriotic. A day later, the video was all over my Facebook feed, with over 9,000 comments and 167,000 views. Surprisingly, most of my friends in the Philippines actually agree with it

Web 2.0 gives regular people like us more freedom of speech than ever. Traditional media would have never published these truths in such a raw, honest manner. And the reaction has been phenomenal, from outraged locals...

...to realists who, despite loving their country, have to admit the truth...

 ...to those who see this as a challenge to make things better.
"I salute this man for doing this video... The truth hurts but we need to accept..."
"This video hits close to home which is why we are so angry. But we have to accept the truth. Instead of getting mad, we should think of ways to improve our society."

I don't know what this says about me, but I love online debates. As with KONY 2012, it provides insight on the different types of people who prowl the web. For instance, half the angry folks probably don't know that the same group of people also made a "20 reasons why I love the Philippines" video. Yep, that's right, "20 reasons why I hate..." is only one side of the coin. Changes the context doesn't it? The Internet may have increased our access to information, but that doesn't mean everyone does their research before spewing out comments.

That said, here is where I stand. The Philippines is a beautiful country with a lot of potential, but obviously with a lot of problems as well. Hopefully this has been an eye-opener for those too proud to believe that certain issues need to be resolved. Rome wasn't built in a day, and I have faith that the country can improve as long as people are willing to accept criticism and take the right steps.

xoxo
Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment